He settles the childless woman in her home as a happy mother of children. —Psalm 113:9

March 16, 2007

Sleep. Pee.

Great muppety Odin*, I'm sleepy. I'm starting to wonder if I'll be able to make that party tonight. I hate to miss it, but I'm having some serious inability to keep my eyes open happening over here.

I'll go. I just might have to nap in the car on the way.

Do you know what's sad, though? As I was shopping for her gift, I realized that since her birth I've actually seen Dakota in person a whopping 5 times. My nephews were always such a big part of my life, and I of theirs, that it's strange to have this little niece (once removed) who barely remembers me when I do get to see her. I had a hard time buying her a gift because I don't even know what she's into. I know 1 seems a bit young for her to be "into" anything, but I remember shopping for Ash's first birthday with the certainty that I couldn't go wrong if I got him some kind of toy vehicle or anything having to do with the Wiggles.

For Dakota, I had to settle for a more generic toddler toy. It's still cute--it's a little plastic puppy that she can drag behind her when she walks, and as she goes it will bark and wag its tail and wiggle its ears. I'm sure she'll like it. But it has a bit of an impersonal feel to it, being that it's not really tailored to her personality, because I don't really know her personality. That makes me sad.

Sad, but still profoundly grateful that she's made it this far.

*Buffy's improving my vocab once again. Whee!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...