He settles the childless woman in her home as a happy mother of children. —Psalm 113:9

April 23, 2007

Why Heroes is da' bomb

My street slang is so five years ago.

Like most of my greatest TV obsessions, I got in late on Heroes. See, I have this rule--or at least I did until a few months ago--where I don't watch TV on Monday nights. I'm not sure when exactly it became a rule. Probably back when I was working on my degree, and there was nothing on Monday nights I couldn't stand to miss (this wasn't quite before TiVo, but it was before TiVo made it into my house), and I figured there ought to be ONE night a week devoted to studying instead of television. Since then I've used Monday nights to get stuff done, or to catch up on reading, or, more recently, to hang out and watch movies with the hubby. Monday nights weren't for television. That's why I didn't give Heroes a shot from the beginning.

But then, as obsession-worthy shows are wont to do, it started to generate a lot of talk. On the web, among my friends, even among my family, people kept telling me what a great show this was, and that they couldn't believe, superhero comic book geek that I was, that I wasn't watching it. I explained my Monday night rule, and resolved to stand by it--at least until I found out Jeff Loeb, author of some of the best Batman stories ever and future writer for Buffy: Season 8, was a co-executive producer and staff writer. I couldn't just keep turning my nose up at that.

So I tuned in on a Monday night. And tuned right back out again. What can I say? It was a slow episode. Did I mention that it took me a season and a half to start liking Farscape?

Thank Heaven for rerun marathons on the SciFi channel and slow TV nights. A few weeks after my initial attempt to give it a chance, my husband chose just such a night to go to bed early. I turned the TV on for company while I worked on my knitting. It was SciFi, it was a Heroes marathon, and I didn't feel like surfing to see what else was on.

I started out knitting and ignoring. And then I was listening. Soon, I was watching, and wishing I could keep Hiro Nakamura for a pet. Then a shot of a cheerleader flayed open on an autopsy table ended with her coming back to life, and that was the end of the episode, and oh my LORD how could they end it like THAT and I had to see more NOW.

I watched the rest of the marathon. By the end, I was pretty much hooked.

Thanks to more marathons and Friday night reruns on SciFi, it didn't take me long to catch up. It was the last run of new episodes, though, that got me to declare this my new favorite show, and very possibly a brand new obsession. I haven't been anywhere near obsessed with a series since Buffy went off the air four years ago, so that's really saying something. The last few weeks of hiatus have been both excruciating and exquisite, and most importantly, finally over. New episodes start tonight, leading up to the season finale, and these are the questions that are burning in my little fangirly heart:

- Is Peter dead?

- Is Mohinder?

- Is Not-Bad Glasses Daddy, who, by the by, has gone from awesomely menacing to just plain AWESOME? Is Mama Bennett dead, too? And OMG, what about Mr. Bojangles Muggles?

- Is Sulu evil?

- Is Mama Petrelli evil/in bed with Linderman/working against Linderman/really protecting Claire?

- Who's Claude hiding? Are he and the Hatian in it together?

- Is Nathan going to find out about Claire? Will they finally get to meet? Will Claire's two daddies team up to protect her and help save the world?

There are more, and I'm sure after tonight's episode there will be a whole new list. I can wait for answers. I'm just thrilled I don't have to keep waiting for this wonderful show to sweep me away.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband and I were just discussing how strong this series continues to be. We decided it was our favorite show to watch together. It's currently the only series on television that we don't miss. (We love our science fiction shows, too, but we can catch them in reruns.) The characters are intriguing and interesting, and we've seen some real evolvement. Like George R. R. Martin's characters, I find myself drawn to the ones I previously despised.

I love how Mrs. Bennet is shown in the season finale to be much more than a dumb blonde. It was a relief to know that she is much stronger and smarter than they gave her credit for. I like how Mr. Bennet has evolved from scary bad guy to loving family man. I'm glad to see Nathan Petrelli isn't the total jerk he appeared to be.

Mrs. Petrelli--what other secrets does she have? What power does she have?

I'm so glad they didn't kill off Mohinder. They had me worried for awhile.

I adore Hiro. We can take turns keeping him as a pet!

I accepted the deaths of Simone, Isaac, and Eden, but I still have hope Hiro can somehow save Charlie. I loved her character, and she and Hiro were so cute together.

And, I had to snicker about Mr. Bojangles! It's Mr. Muggles. So where is Mr. Muggles now, and where is poor Mrs. Bennet? That poor woman has been through so much. They better not hurt her!

We were concerned that the show couldn't keep its momentum and continue growing the storyline, but they've done a wonderful job juggling all the characters and keeping a plot.

And, ooo, that Sylar is creepy!

Jean Bauhaus said...

Heh. I don't know where I came up with Mr. Bojangles. Fixed it. Thanks for the correction.

Like George R. R. Martin's characters, I find myself drawn to the ones I previously despised.

You could also say the same about some of Joss's characters.

I'm glad to see Nathan Petrelli isn't the total jerk he appeared to be.

I hope not. I want Nathan to be a good guy. But he seemed awfully enthralled with that picture of himself in the White House, and not as appalled as I would have liked at the idea that .07% of the population is an acceptable loss, and then with the ignoring Peter's advice and asking Claire to keep quiet and go to Paris with Grandma Petrelli...

I kept hoping Hiro and Ando would return from the future in time to save Isaac. Guess I hoped in vain. Bye bye, Isaac. I wasn't really that attached to him, anyway.

I'm mostly just relieved Peter's not dead. I kept yelling at them to pull the chunk of glass out of his head. Thank goodness Claire was there.

Peter's got a lot of really excellent defensive powers. Now he just needs to rack up some good offensive powers (other than the 'sploding) and then he could totally take Sylar.

Anonymous said...

I knew Mr. Muggles' name because my husband and I had argued over what it was. I was certain the dog wasn't named after a Harry Potter term. So, I googled and found I was in error. Give the point to hubby!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...