He settles the childless woman in her home as a happy mother of children. —Psalm 113:9

December 31, 2008

Ringing out the old.

A Greeting for the New YearNow is the time when all good bloggers must list their resolutions for the new year. Well, I've never claimed to be a good blogger, but I do have some resolve this time of year. And so...

I resolve one thing, and one thing only: to take 2009 as it comes. To do one thing at a time, when I feel like doing it, until it's finished, and ignore the nagging voice that tells me about all of the things I'm not doing and how much I suck for it. To understand that having a clean kitchen is not more important, or more urgent, than making pretty things or learning new crafts, no matter how frivolous they may seem. I resolve to give myself permission to let down all of the imaginary people who hang on my every word and expect me to do things that I've taken it upon myself to do without ever being asked by anyone and, if we're being honest, no actual people care whether I do it or not. To remember that the world will not explode or implode or screech to a grinding halt or even bother to notice that I've taken a couple of hours out of my day to write. Or to nap. I resolve to remember that it is The Future and I can watch my TV shows whenever I want and don't have to stick to rigid network schedules. I will remind myself that my husband will not die, or even break down and cry, and my marriage will not be in the tiniest bit of jeopardy if I decline to watch a DVD with my husband and go to another room to do my own thing instead.

In other words, I resolve to learn how to relax and enjoy the precious time I have on this earth, and to spend 2009 recovering from the whirlwind that was 2008, and to hope that nothing too eventful or interesting happens this year that doesn't involve my writing in the best possible way. I resolve to give myself a break.

Happy New Year, you guys. I hope that 2009 is the year that everyone reading this learns to be kind to themselves. Peace.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...