He settles the childless woman in her home as a happy mother of children. —Psalm 113:9

April 28, 2010

Weighty Matters

Li'l Sis posted a Facebook preview of the head shots she did for my birthday. From what I've seen so far, this is the hands down winner - it's the only one that doesn't make it obvious just how much weight I've gained. Holy cheese and crackers, you guys, I can't believe how big I've gotten. I saw the numbers on the scale when I got weighed every week during my pregnancy, but it just didn't register. I mean, I look in the mirror, and I just don't see it.

Over all, the pictures are lovely, and Liz did a fabulous job making me look good. But they're also the wake-up call I need to get me to lay off the fast food and start taking care of myself again. As much as I've made peace with the fact that I'll never have the body of a supermodel and am content with just being able to walk up a couple flights of stairs without getting winded (which, right now I've got a ways to go before I get there again) and shop for clothes in non-specialty stores, it hit me that this, my weight, is one pregnancy risk factor that I have control over, and I have the ability to eliminate it.

While I don't plan to diet myself down to an unrealistic weight that I can neither achieve nor maintain without making myself and everybody around me completely miserable, I am going to take steps to get my BMI back into the healthy range -- which means I need to lose a minimum of 30 pounds. I think I've already lost a little since these were taken, since I've been walking regularly again. I have a feeling that between that and just preparing my own meals instead of heading for the drive-thru, the first few pounds will come off fairly easily.

***

Needless to say I won't be running a 5K anytime soon, so I'll leave that to Li'l Sis and her son Ash, who are gearing up for Tulsa's 4th annual Ready, Set, Run event to raise funds for the Autism Center of Tulsa. If you'd like, you can click here to sponsor them. Go team Ashton!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...