He settles the childless woman in her home as a happy mother of children. —Psalm 113:9

May 17, 2010

Pitch In An Elevator

I have, finally, begun ProBlogger's "31 Days to Build a Better Blog" challenge. The first assignment for this challenge is to craft an elevator pitch to help identify precisely what, exactly, this blog is about.

This is a tough assignment, because this here blog has suffered something of an identity crisis in recent years. You'd think that after a decade of blogging (my tenth blog-iversary came and went without any fanfare back in January) I'd have it nailed down, but my poor blog is as ADD as I am. As such, I still can't bring myself to confine this space to a single niche topic. It's my safe haven, my creative space, my place to vent my spleen about the stuff I have to deal with, as a writer, as a freelancer, as a wife, as a 37 year old woman who wants a baby and apparently can't have one (at least, not yet), as an ADD sufferer, as a fangirl, et cetera ad infinitum. It's a blog salad, really.

So that's what I'm going with, at least to start. Maybe as I go through the course this will become more refined, but for now, my main goal is to carve out a niche for other late bloomers who, like me, are still struggling to figure out what it means to be a grown-up and all that that entails. So without further ado, here's my elevator pitch:
Daydream Believer is the blog salad of Jean Marie Bauhaus, an aspiring writer, freelancer, wife and would-be mom who struggles with ADD, fertility issues, body image, gradually pushing 40 and still figuring out how this whole "Adulthood" thing is supposed to work. She covers all of these topics and more (hence, "blog salad") with honesty and (sometimes sad attempts at) humor.

Yeah... I'm not sure that's a pitch that would sell ad space. Like I said, it needs to be refined. You can help with that by giving me feedback. Not just on the pitch, but on the blog in general: what would you like to see more of? What sort of topics would make you want to comment and engage in discussion? What topics do you find helpful, even if just in that you can relate and feel better that you're not the only one feeling that way? What blogging tics do I have that irritate you or tempt you to stop reading? Don't be shy -- share with me in the comments.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...