He settles the childless woman in her home as a happy mother of children. —Psalm 113:9

October 5, 2011

Project: Oven Repair Is Working

Here's some good news: I decided to test my blood glucose levels today for the first time since June, and there is definite improvement. Back then, my fasting glucose level was 102 when I tested it in the morning before breakfast--that's in the range for insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome. When I tested it before breakfast this morning, it was 93--down nine points and NORMAL!

I've lost about ten pounds in between the two tests, and while it's tempting to be a little discouraged that I've only lost ten pounds since June, I did take that month-long break from the diet, during which I actually gained a few pounds. So this is actually great progress, and the important thing is that the numbers are all moving in the right direction.

I'm feeling really positive about what this means for my chances of a healthy pregnancy, although I'll be more comfortable if I can get my fasting glucose level under 90 before we start trying again. I also need to lose 5-10 more pounds before the height/weight charts stop telling me I'm overweight. More importantly, I need to lose about three more inches of belly fat before I'm fully out of the "at risk" range.

I'm really glad I decided to test and measure everything today, too. I've been feeling really discouraged about all of this lately, and this is just the encouragement and motivation I need to keep going.

I'm almost there, y'all.

PS for those of you who also need to watch the glycemic index of the foods you eat - I've got a Low GI Recipes pinboard on Pinterest. Some of the recipes are already there and some of them look like they just need a bit of tweaking to get there. I'm planning to start experimenting with low GI baking once the weather finally cools down enough to start using our oven.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...