He settles the childless woman in her home as a happy mother of children. —Psalm 113:9

March 19, 2007

Gymboree

It's time to go hit the gym. Well, almost. I'm stalling to give the seniors time to dry off after their water aerobics and clear out of the locker room, where hopefully by the time I get there an attendant will have mopped up the puddles that they dripped everywhere. So instead I'm here saying that I don't wanna go.

It's not the drippy seniors' fault. I'm just in a really apathetic place as regards the gym, and exercise in general. I recognize all of its benefits, which is why in a few minutes I'll get up and go anyway. But it doesn't appear to be doing any good. I'm still as flabby and out of shape as when I started, and having to exercise amongst people who actually LOOK like they work out is depressing as Monday in winter. Which, technically, today is.

I've gained 20 pounds since the wedding, y'all, and it doesn't want to budge, no matter what I do. So it's very tempting to declare the entire effort futile and sit on my arse and give in to the spread while I get some writing done.

...

Why am I forcing myself to the gym again, exactly?


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why am I forcing myself to the gym again, exactly?

*best Ah-nold voice* Because you are a strong and powerful woman!
/lame Ah-nold voice

No, really. You do it for the same reasons I do it. Even though the evil that is my scale says I've gained about 5 pounds since I started working out again. *sigh* But I still get up and do it. Go me. :is weak:

Jean Bauhaus said...

Yeah. Urg. Gaining after you start working out is the worst. But then again, you can tell yourself it's muscle weight. Which I'm sure in your case it totally is.

vtbyers said...

Here's the list I keep by my desk every time I feel like skipping a workout...it helps remind me why I need to do it and gives me a nice kick in the butt:

Why I Work Out:

I work out to change people’s perception about women.

I work out so that when people say “That’s too heavy for you, let me carry it”, I can say “No, that’s all right, I’ve got it”, and I really do.

I work out so that I can eat what I want and not feel guilty.

I work because the reunion might not be this year, or next year, but it will happen. And I don’t want anything to make me feel less confident and excited about it than I deserve to be.

I work out to help prevent heart disease, osteoporosis, and Alzheimers.

I work out for my sake of my unborn children, because research shows that health conscientious parents tend to raise health conscientious children.

I work out so that I am strong/fast enough to save someone’s life if the situation ever arises.

I work out because one day I hope to have grandchildren, and I want to have as much time with them as possible.

I work out so that my favorite jeans never have to become “those old jeans I can’t fit into anymore.”

I work out so that I can still wear my high school uniform skirt for Halloween.

I work out because I know “staying in shape” is easier than “getting back into shape.”

I work out because I love my husband and I want to be with him for as long as possible.

I work out because I feel so good afterward.

I work out because I deserve to be proud of myself.

I work out because I want to be able to take care of myself for as long as possible.

I work out because I never want to feel that I can only sit on the beach and just watch the waves, instead of swimming in them.

I work out because it’s better for me to take my frustrations out on a weight bench than on my friends, family, or even the people that do need to be slapped in the head.

I work out so that I can be the mom who plays basketball with her kids instead of just watching them play.

I work out because I don’t want walking up a flight of steps to make me tired.

I work out because I want the energy.

I work out because it makes me feel more confident about myself.

I work out to keep my joints healthy.

I work out because obesity is directly linked to major health problems.

I work out because it’s not about how I look, it’s about how I feel.

I work out because fitness is related to more comfortable menstruation cycles, easier pregnancies, and a more energized sex life.

I work out because it’s more fun to get out of the house and do something aerobic and challenging than to sit in the house and do nothing.

I work out so that I can try new activities (skiing, skating, tree-climbing) without worrying as much about injuring myself or wearing myself out.

I work out because fitness is related to better reflexes and stronger muscles and bones, which leads to fewer injuries.

I work out because a little work now saves a lot of work later.

I work out because I don’t want to be dainty, I want to be empowered.

I work out so that I can protect myself and my loved ones if necessary.

I work out because my dog deserves a running buddy who can keep up.

Jean Bauhaus said...

Those are all excellent reasons. A printout's going by my computer as well. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...