He settles the childless woman in her home as a happy mother of children. —Psalm 113:9

April 29, 2008

Seasonal Fabulosity

I went "shopping" in the back of my closet this weekend. I found things that have been back there so long that they're practically new! Or at least they're new to everybody at this job. I've been playing around with them, trying new combos and taking a few chances, so that I can get through the spring--possibly summer, too--without being completely sick of every single thing in my closet. Or at least of what's in rotation in the easy-to-reach part of my closet.

Spring (and fall, too) always inspires me to put a little more effort into my appearance. Mild weather makes me care about fashion, about accessories, about having my toenails painted and my legs shaved so that they're always ready for a cute skirt or pair of sandals. The more extreme months, not so much. In cold weather, my only fashion criteria are, "Will it keep me warm?" and "Will it get me sent home to change?" If the answers are "yes" and "no" respectively, then it becomes a winter wardrobe staple. In the summer it's pretty much the same, except replace the first question with, "Does this provide enough ventilation to let me make it from one air conditioned zone to another without dying from heat stroke?"

Of course, in the extreme seasons, I'm usually too distracted by either being so cold I want nothing more than to curl up under a mountain of blankets and never take off my warm flannel jammies, or so hot that I want nothing--NOTHING!--to touch my skin, and resenting that I have to make concessions either way. But in mild weather, I get to be girly, and wear pretty things, and feel beautiful, and have the energy to care. And today, the weather feels fabulous, and so do I.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...