He settles the childless woman in her home as a happy mother of children. —Psalm 113:9

January 12, 2009

The Perils of Non-Dairy Creamer

Non-Dairy Creamer. Contains MilkNot to go all Seinfeld on you, but what is up with non-dairy creamer? Seriously, you guys, I have questions. For instance, why is it that when I use soy milk, or any other kind of milk, I have all this grungy build-up in my coffee cup, but not when I use the non-dairy stuff? Not only that, but it also gets rid of any previous build-up that might have been there to start with (I don't always scrub my mug out at the end of the day, okay? Please don't judge me). I find this a little worrisome. I already try to avoid the stuff, because of the partially-hydrogenated trans-fatty evilness; but if it can also act as a cleaning agent? An apparently corrosive one, at that? I'm starting to wonder if any of those mysterious and hard to pronounce chemical ingredients can also be found in a can of Comet? Methinks it might be worth checking into.

And then, there's this little warning to the lactose-intolerant at the end of the list: "Contains milk." Wha? Did milk get reclassified as something other than dairy while I was busy twittering? How, exactly, is something that contains milk "non-dairy"?

I'd say I wish I had the answers, but I'm thinking that maybe in this case, ignorance is truly bliss. Let this serve as a reminder to self why I go to the extra effort and expense to keep the office fridge stocked with soy milk. And also a thank you to the coffee catering service for keeping the cabinets stocked with a really great coffee mug cleaner.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...