He settles the childless woman in her home as a happy mother of children. —Psalm 113:9

August 5, 2011

Mmm, coffee

I'm feeling really good right now, and I'm sure it has nothing at all to do with the fact that I just had my first cup of fully-caffed coffee since starting Project Oven Repair way back in March. Oh yes I did, and I tell you what, it was totally worth the withdrawal headache I'm likely to suffer through tomorrow when I force myself back on wagon.

Why the lapse? I've just been missing coffee so much lately. I mean, I've been drinking decaf, but it's just not the same, and I don't just mean the buzz factor. Decaf coffe just tastes... off, somehow. I can't even put my finger on it. It's just wrong, is all. I've also been drinking a lot of tea; some of which is caffeinated, but a cup of tea doesn't have nearly the caffeine as a regular cup o' joe, and I've been limiting myself to one or two cups of the caffed stuff (mainly either chai or gunpowder green tea) a day, so that hardly counts as any caffeine at all, right? Which must be true, because just halfway through drinking my real java today I started to feel a zing that I haven't felt in so very long.

It hasn't helped that Matt, who was never much of a coffee drinker, has suddenly become a coffee connoisseur, drinking coffee every day, buying gourmet grounds, even going so far as to get himself a fancy French press. I smell that stuff brewing and I can't help but ask myself why I'm putting myself through this deprivation when we're not even actively TTC yet. But then I remember all of the studies that determined that caffeine increases insulin resistance and, that's why.

So this can't become a habit. When we were out today I picked up a three-serving packet of Starbucks instant (yeah, instant, but its flavor is still a lot better than decaf) to keep on hand for when I just can't stand the cravings for the taste of real coffee. Because one cup once in a while won't kill me or POR.

Speaking of which, it's stalled again -- I'm plateaued at around 167, and I guess I need to go back to lowering my carbs and increasing my mono fats until that needle gets moving again. Of course, I haven't been working out as much as I should. The problem with being workout buddies with my Big Sis in the summers is that I fall into the habit of only working out on the days we can get together, and that's typically only three days a week, which is not enough for weight loss. But the flip side of that is that, with this heat, I probably wouldn't be working out at all if not for the days Sis and I get together. But she'll be starting back to school soon, so I've got to get back into the habit of motivating myself to work out, stifling, tree-killing, 110+ degree heat be damned.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...