I think I've changed my mind back about the Crapometer, mainly because I realize that even if my manuscript won't be ready to shop around for at least another year, this particular opportunity won't come around again, and besides, it's not like I've anything to lose. And it doesn't hurt that a hook came to me this morning while I was reading some examples that Miss Snark linked to, one that sums up all of the important aspects of my story in barely over a hundred words and only three sentences.
Having failed to learn my lesson last time, I'm posting it here with the caveat that any feedback should be constructive. Again, that's constructive, as in useful, helpful, encouraging, possibly even with suggestions for improvement. "Your hook sucks and so does the idea it rode in on, and by the way, you suck, too," and any variations thereof, don't qualify. Now that we're clear on that, here's the hook:
When he goes out to search for his ex-girlfriend's runaway cat, Hollywood actor Michael Chambers finds instead a shape-shifting doppelganger intent on stealing both his life and said ex-girlfriend. The shape-shifter works for a faction of militant faeries who want to cast a spell to literally turn Michael into his TV character, The Mediator, a supernatural superhero who they believe has the power to prevent a faerie war that would destroy both their world and Michael's. When the spell goes awry, it's up to Michael to transform himself from pampered celebrity to hero and prevent an inter-dimensional apocalypse, all while trying to get his life back. Stupid cat.
I'll keep working on it. I think the end could use a little more punch. Any feedback of the aforementioned helpful variety is welcome and appreciated.
5 comments:
Ok, you know I love you doll.
When he goes out to search for his ex-girlfriend's runaway cat, Hollywood actor Michael Chambers finds instead a shape-shifting doppelganger intent on stealing both his life and said ex-girlfriend.
I think it would be better without the bolded part of the sentence. It just doesn't...flow.
When the spell goes awry, it's up to Michael to transform himself from pampered celebrity to hero and prevent an inter-dimensional apocalypse, all while trying to get his life back. Stupid cat.
Ok, again, love the first part, but the bolded part doesn't flow (for me). I'd make it a separate sentence: And get is life back. Stupid Cat.
The non-writer will now slink off and hope she didn't offend.
*mwah*
No, see, that's a grand example of the kind of constructive and useful feedback I'm looking for. Thank you.
When he goes out to search for
or
While searching for
I really like "Stupid cat" at the end.
In the end, it's all your words and how your feel about them, but my 2 cents since you asked.
How "you" feel about them...
Feel free to proofread me!
Hee. No beta-ing the betas here. :)
Thanks!
Post a Comment