He settles the childless woman in her home as a happy mother of children. —Psalm 113:9

November 3, 2011

Giving Thanks, Days 1-3

I wanted to use this space to write each day about something I'm thankful for in the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving, but thanks to NaNoWriMo I've fallen behind on everything that doesn't include adding new words to my novel. But better late than never, right? So here are three things:

My two legs. My husband, an amputee, is always telling me I should be grateful that I still have two strong legs, and I am. He usually tells me this when I start to complain that it's too cold to get out there and do my 45-minute walk, or too hot, or that I'm too tired, or whatever I've pulled out of my litany of excuses that day, and I know he's right, so I get out there and walk. And as I walk, I say a prayer of thanks that I'm still able-bodied and healthy, and that my legs are strong enough to carry me.

Related to this, I'm also thankful for my strength, and I don't mean the emotional strength that has been amply tested over the last two years. I come from hardy stock, and the women of my family aren't the sort to stand daintily back and let the men-folk handle all of the heavy lifting. We get in there and git 'er done. I very rarely come across a jar that I need my husband's help to open, and I'm definitely someone you want on your team on moving day. The only caveat to this is that I have a weak lower back, and if I'm not diligent about keeping my core strong, I can really hurt myself trying to move heavy stuff by myself if I'm not careful.

And as long as I'm being thankful for physical attributes, let me add a word of thanks for my hips. Yes, you read that right. Most women, it seems, would love to give up their hips and have the figure of a 12 year old boy like Hollywood tells us is oh so fashionable these days, but I'm grateful for my curves, especially my hips. They serve as extra hands when I'm carrying laundry or groceries, they can open and close doors, and they can knock someone over if I need them to. If the day ever comes for me to give birth, they should make that whole process a little easier, and I look forward to the day when I can rest a child on them. So I really don't mind if all of this leftover Halloween candy I'm failing to resist ends up going straight to my hips.

What are YOU thankful for this month?



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...